Cancellation of January 19, 200k Brevet

I have decided to cancel the 200k brevet scheduled for this coming Saturday, January 19, 2019, because I do not believe it would be safe for the riders.

Last weekend the St. Louis area received a significant amount of snow.  Because of the cold weather this week, most of this snow remains on the bike trail portion of the ride.

If that was the only safety concern, I would re-route the ride to avoid this section, but there are ominous weather forecasts for this coming weekend.  Current weather forecasts for Saturday predict freezing rain and snow during the ride.  Additionally, temperatures are predicted to drop from 37 degrees at the start to 29 degrees after ten hours.  The wind is predicted to be between 20 m.p.h. and 23 m.p.h. during the ride.

I hate to cancel a scheduled event based on forecasts, but I want to give everyone enough time to make other arrangements.

Ultimately, rider’s safety is our primary concern.  Based on the current forecast, this concern mandates a cancellation.  I hope you will be able to join us for rides later this year.

Dennis Smith, RBA St. Louis, Missouri

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s